The Veggie Recipe page!
How to be a happy healthy vegetarian (me for nearly 40 years now)
I have four children who ate no meat or fish before 18. The older two checked out meat before basically returning to veggiedom (I think!); they do sports, have degrees and are stunning guitar players. The 16 yr old was the fastest runner in his class. At 15 yrs my daughter is set for A* and looks beautiful.
You do not need meat! And the planet would be better off if you didn't eat it: see the Observer article top right >
What do we need? 3 things:
- Protein - body building
- Vitamins - systems functioning
- Carbohydrate - fuel
Where can veggies get them?
Tofu has huge protein content, no fat and tastes delicious if you cook it as described below. It has the full amino acids.
Vitamins come from all over the place if you eat a good variety of foods including uncooked.
Rice, potatoes, bread - all the normal types of carbohydrate - give you energy.
Simple meals (that our family lives off). Does this sound difficult or boring?
- Shepherds pie - with mince in a tasty sauce as normal - only use Linda McCartney's! Or Tesco - avoid Quorn
- Stew - chunks of vege steak (chunky strips). It's your SAUCE that creates the taste.
- Nut Roast slices with roast potatoes, gravy, redcurrant jelly and favourite vegetables.
- Stir-fry with rice and marinated tofu.
- Curry and Rice - endless varieties...
- Bacon and eggs - just use Tesco's great veggie bacon. Tastes like bacon crisps which are actually vegetarian - check the packet!
- Pizza!!! With all sorts of things on...
- Pasta!!! e.g. tagliatelli with mushrooms in a wine and cream sauce.
- Sausage, egg and chips - some really nice flavour veggie sausages abound.
Honestly, does that sound like hardship? It isn't and it COSTS LESS than meat versions of the same. And just like meat, you can make it as interesting or boring as you like...
Nut Roast - this is so easy and as TASTY as you flavour it!
Put the following in a large bowl:
Optional: fried finely chopped onion and mushrooms
Chopped nuts (or use blender): cashews, other mixed
Chopped fresh sage (or from packet)
Mug full of hot water in which you have dissoved a large teaspoonful of marmite
A little wholemeal flour
A little oil (olive, ideally)
Stir well, put in a greased bread baking tin and roast at gas mark 6 for 40 mins
Serve with roast potatoes, broccoli, carrotts and tasty gravy made using miso!
Stir Fry - classic, quick and easy - even meaties love this!
- Marinate tofu cubes 1½cm in natural SHOYU for as long as you have time for (1 hr + best, but 10 mins ok)
- Cook thai jasmine rice for 10 mins
- Roll the tofu cubes in plain flour (white and wholemeal mix works well) and fry in hot oil (we use olive oil)
- Wok-sizzle your stir fry vegetable pack from Tesco/Co-op etc with extras like asparagus, courgettes, etc.
- Keep turning your tofu cubes to make crisp and golden
- Add Sharwoods Kung-Po/Sweet & Sour/Sweet Chilli / mixture of 2 of them / to the stir fry
- Serve it all HOT sprinkled with Shoyu!
STOP PRESS! Avoid Quorn! It is made from a type of MOULD, accidentally discovered and then exploited by a business. I am allergic to nothing, but if I eat Quorn, I am violently sick two hours later until my body has emptied itself of everything. The same for some of my friends. The company is believed to be suppressing the true data on how many people get very ill from Quorn. If you believe in natural and unprocessed food, Quorn is the OPPOSITE.